Last updated: Tuesday 31st October 2017      

It has been a busy day on board the RRS James Clark Ross with the new embarked personnel settling into the routine of life on board a ship.  At 0800 there was a safety brief given to all and this was followed by a full set of musters to ensure that everyone knew where they had to go in the event of an emergency.  Once this was completed then the rest of the day was free to explore Stanley and all that it has to offer,  which includes a wonderful museum and some great places to have coffee and cake.

On the subject of the museum,  I was contacted during my leave by a lady who had acquired a model of the James Clark Ross and was trying to find a good home for it.  Following some enquiries,  the museum in Stanley expressed and interest and with the help of a number of the crew it was possible to get the model onto the ship for the passage south.  I am delighted to report that the model,  boxed for shipping,  along with a lot of paperwork and drawings,  was handed over to Alison,  the museum manager.  It is hoped to get it put back together and displayed.  A fine resting place for the model.

This morning also saw the last of the fresh provisions being loaded on board. The trip to Signy,  South Georgia and Bird Island will be fairly short and so we should manage well with fresh provisions.  Often the JCR is at sea for upwards of seven weeks before a port call and the opportunity to restock.

This morning I was in the engineering section of the ship and passed through the Engineers Workshop,  which is well equipped to deal with most tings that can crop up whilst the ship is at sea.

Adjacent to the the workshop is the Machinery Control Room,  known as the MCR.  This is where all the machinery on board is monitored and controlled.  The ship has an unmanned engine room which means that the engineers work a normal working day and the computer system keeps a watch at night,  sounding an alarm to the Duty Engineer should there be a problem at night.

At about 1845 the James Clark Ross departed Stanley and this is a view looking back through The Narrows to Stanley Harbour.  As I write the update the ship is the short passage around the coast to Mare Harbour where we will park on Wednesday to take bunkers.  Once this is completed the ship will then depart for Signy Island.

Cargo in No2 Hold.  The JCR plays an important role in the re-supply and maintenance of the BAS bases

The RRS James Clark Ross is registered in Stanley,  Falkland Islands,  and flies the Falkland Island Flag.

This image is taken from the larger Dartcom satellite image and was received on board this morning.  Whilst looking at the image I spotted that the large iceberg that has recently calved from the Larsen C was clearly visible.  If conditions allow and the James Clark Ross can gain access to this area in February,  then I will be on a science cruise to investigate this area.  This will be a very exciting cruise,  if conditions allow.  I will be keeping an eye on this berg during the coming weeks.

On the radio front I have now set up the Kenwood set and am ready to be active on the HF bands.  In addition I am running a receiver 24/7 on 10MHz listening for WSPR signals and in the past two days have received some great signals from as far away as the UK,  Europe,  Africa,  USA,  South America and New Zealand.  This will be operating for the duration of my time on board.

Previous updates from the current trip.

Mike Gloistein
gm0hcq @